Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cancelado

That is not the word you want to see flashing in red next to your international flight! However, this is what I found when I arrived in JFK. I, being the wise and savvy traveler that I am, immediately proceeded to freak out. Thank goodness I had long layovers so I could get everything worked out, but seriously?! Then the plane would not start for an hour! Anyway, I am now in Malaga with my family and am exhausted but happy to finally be in one place.

On Friday I slept 11pm-4pm, yikes! That shows how tired I was, but I was so embarrassed. The mother, is very sweet and understanding though. I met the father when he came home from work at 9pm on Thursday…did I mention they are both surgeons? They have crazy hours!

And the kids—they are adorable! I am very excited to work with them. I start “work” on Monday, although I have already been playing and reading with them. The oldest boy is 11, the girl is 8, and the youngest boy is 7. They all have a lot of energy, but the youngest has the attention span of a gnat! The girl is so sweet and the oldest wants to learn everything about English. He speaks the best English but the other two speak a little.


A view of Malaga

Today (Saturday) I played with the youngest and went to the park with him—it was so beautiful outside! The sky is blue, it is a balmy 60 degrees, and the buildings are all painted buttery yellows, pale oranges, creams, and light rusty reds with colorful trim.

Last night I watched The Changeling in Spanish…and I still cried. I’m a sucker for sad movies. Tonight the parents are going out with some friends so the kids’ grandmother is going to come babysit. On Tuesday I take a Spanish proficiency test so I can be placed in classes…yikes. All in all, things are going very well and I cannot wait to get started!

4 comments:

  1. lol, i found the comment spot, yay!!

    -sandy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy you settled in well. Good luck with the kids! and enjoy Malaga.

    Sebastian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! The dog part is awesome! Maybe you will finally turn into the dog lover I know you are deep down. Miss you and I'm so happy you are having fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay kids! They sound fun - it will be great to get to know their personalities. And yay for having a little room where you can close the door! Perhaps Shauna is right and the dog will grow on you...lets hope!

    ReplyDelete