Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's Sunny, Ha!


Last week was a bit different, because it was Semana Blanca (like spring break because this Monday was la dia de Andalucia, this region of Spain). I played with and taught the kids approximately eight hours each day, whenever the parents needed. A few days I had the afternoons free, which I prefer, and the weather was beautiful so was able to see more of the sights. I went to the Castillo Gibralfaro and the gardens of Puerta Oscura (hidden/dark door) and they were incredible!



The gardens I believe were built in the turn of the 20th century; they are a maze of hidden arches and small sitting areas with all kinds of trees, flowers, and beautiful paving. They are on the side of the hill next to La Alcazaba and on the way up to the Castillo.














I hiked up the hill to the Castillo and though it took forever, it was worth it. The view is amazing and I was delighted in the centuries’ old architecture. The Castillo has had many renovations, but the oldest parts are from the 15th century. It was historically used as a military fortress because it is a large hill close to the sea.
I especially enjoyed it because I personally love European history and it was the discovery of a historically-rich side of Malaga I had not previously known—at face value, Malaga is very modern and geared around the tourist beaches.






Later in the week I also wandered around but did not go in La Alcazaba and the Roman Theater (pictured).











Last weekend I went to a town very near called Torremolinos with my friend Marie. I went to a Mexican restaurant that, of course, was nothing like the Tex-Mex I am used to. We went Latin dancing and I had a crash course in salsa, meringue, and bachata! I spent Sunday afternoon with a guy I met in Cadiz, who speaks four languages. The more people I meet here, the more I feel I am lacking in the language department! However, I surprised myself by being able to talk about many different topics.




Monday was a holiday and so I went to the beach and a café with some new friends. I have also been meeting a woman who wants to practice her English and I can practice my Spanish with her--she is very fun and eager to talk.








Things I am Enjoying Getting Used to:
-Jamon (ham), straight from the source in our kitchen
-Tiny coffees! Café con leche in the middle of a lazy afternoon outside on a patio…I have never been a coffee drinker but who can resist?
-Drying my clothes on a clothesline out the window…It is not cliché, it is normal! You almost never use the dryer and you iron everything.

-Bedtime stories and songs…Girl Scouts and Beatles are making the hit list right now :)

-Fruit for dessert after lunch and supper…makes me appreciate the sweetness of the fruit, which I usually eat during a meal.

-Speaking in Spanish, of course! I love that there are so many different opportunities to talk with people here…I am glad they are patient with me and do not mind teaching me!

6 comments:

  1. This is my favorite post/update so far, I LOVE the play-dough picture!! The trip to the castle sounds amazing too, it looks so peaceful to me:) hmmm....the ham picture kind of freaked me out a little, I think that would take me quite a long time to get used to....

    I was talking to my clinical preceptor this last week and guess what? She visited Malaga one summer and absolutely loved it! lol, she spent the rest of our shift trying to convince me to go see you (not that I need that much convincing;).

    Love hearing from you, thanks for keeping us all updated! Miss you!!

    -sandy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed hearing about new and different things you are doing --but especially seeing pictures!! Now I just need names to go with the faces in the pictures! Keep updating us!
    Love you!
    Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, so glad y'all like it! The pictures are frustrating to put up, but I know they make the posts so I will keep doing it.
    The kids love to play play-dough--they are so creative. The ham totally freaked me out!! It just showed up one day in the kitchen and I didn't know if it was even cooked...but now I really enjoy the tiny slices. The castle is very peaceful and beautiful. I can't wait for the weather to improve so I can explore more.
    Sandy, you should TOTALLY come visit. I could even hook you up with a family for the summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew I trained you well Pilgrim, to appreciate the gardens in life, whether they are real gardens or little growing things (chidren)! Drink up all the language and sights you can.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Minda - glad to see you are enjoying the gardens in life.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Josh needs to meet the girl in the shiny blue top!! Dona

    ReplyDelete