Saturday, May 1, 2010

I Want to Know About These Strangers Like Me...

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been! Time flies when you're having fun. Lots of adventures since the last time I wrote...(lost my camera/it was stolen so I can't share pictures)


-Weekend trip to Valencia for their famous festival called Las Fallas. I went with a mix of European students so it was a challenge practicing and communicating in our Spanish! Las Fallas are huge wooden and paper mache constructions of random characters created throughout the year that can be as big as buildings--and they are all burned to the ground at the end of the festival. Churros con chocolate, getting lost and exploring the city, dancing, paella de Valencia, exploring an area of famous futuristic buildings in the same day as an old Moorish castle, and making new friends made this trip incredibly memorable.

-Semana Santa in Malaga: I had most of the week off for vacation so I could enjoy the transformation that is this city during Holy Week. There are huge floats of various Christian figures and tons of candles, all carried on dozens of men's shoulders. Ku Klux Klan costumes are a sign of penitence and reverance in various bright colors, accompanied by beautiful and somber music. These processions go on almost 24/7 during the week! Hard to describe the atmosphere, but it was quite an experience.

-The weather has warmed up enough for...the beach! I'm enjoying exploring the beach since I've never lived in a climate like this. I'm wearing tons of sunscreen but probably damaging my skin for life--I just can't resist! Nothing like swimming in the ocean and laying out on the sand with friends for hours on end on a lazy Saturday.


-The kids...baking chocolate chip cookies, pretending to be monkeys to the amusement of the other kids on the playground, having an epic hour-long battle on the beach, teaching English songs and grammar rules daily, seeing their language improve, understanding the sentiment that kids will simultaneously break your heart and bring love to your life you never predicted, and having moments that catch my breath because they are so special.


-Going to school every day now and loving it! My Spanish is improving rapidly, much more so than in the US in classes. I did a presentation on the US and Texas, which was fun and difficult...explaining the gun policy and cowboys! I baked a pecan pie for the international feast, which was nothing like a pecan pie I've seen before. Oh well!



-Malaga, Germany, Sweden, France, Argentina, Paraguay: one of my favorite parts of living here is talking about the differences between our cultures. Curiosity of the day: North and South America are not separate continents here in Europe! They teach five, sometimes six with Antarctica, continents. They can't seem to understand that the land masses should be grouped differently...while Europe is the same land mass as Asia and separating those are no question :)



-Going out with a big group of friends to a restaurant, bar or dancing is always fun--I'm happy I have my weekends free, unlike some other au pairs! I saw a flamenco show and thoroughly enjoyed the intense dancing. Marta taught me some flamenco but also taught me that most of it is just made up. Stomp your feet really hard in rhythm while making loops in the air with your hands and turning--you've basically got it!

-Don't want to be an American idiot...did you know that Spain has a king? I'm finding myself woefully lacking in Spanish politics and history. I have Don Quixote in English and once that's under my belt I'm going to take a history of Spain...in Spanish! I think I'm ready.

-I went to Morocco for a weekend with a friend in a large tourist group--not usually my ideal way to travel, but it was good timing and much safer than traveling alone. We stayed in Tetuan and went to Tangiers and Chef-Chaoen, a beautiful small town in the mountains. The buildings are all painted white and the doors are blue--very charming and touristy! We ate local foods like couscous, green mint tea, and orange slices with cinnamon. We saw fire dancing, Moroccan palaces, beautiful countryside--not a desert in sight, and huge markets with tiny streets containing everything from live chickens to gutted sharks. The socioeconomic status of the country reminded me of Mexico, with everything a bit run-down and dirtier. But still fascinating and the countryside was amazingly green! If you ever get the chance, I recommend it.

-What's coming up soon: a trip to Seville with some Germans, my birthday which I will celebrate with two friends who have the same birthday, a day trip to Cordoba...organizing larger plans for the summer!

-Hope you enjoyed this and are having a beautiful spring! Miss y'all tons and I would love to show you around if you get a bee in your bonnet to travel here...Hasta luego!


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like Mary Poppins has been REALLY busy! Label who is with you in your pictures--nice to put names w/ faces! Have fun and continute to learn lots!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, yes Spain has a king! :)

    oh my gosh, I'm so happy you made it to Morocco!!! It sounds like such an amazing experience!!! I need to stop reading your blog, it makes me want to run to the airport every time!

    i miss you tons! take care!

    -sandy:)

    ReplyDelete